Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Birthday Surprise

This year’s Birthday Surprise is truly a surprise. My brother sneaked out to get me a birthday cake meant to be a surprise for me. As we’re very close, we usually don’t keep anything from each other. So when I asked him where he has been and he didn’t want to tell me but instead told me that I was not his mom and need not know his every movement, I was…. Heart-broken. Hurt. The tender part in my heart shaked. I did not expect the sudden turn of attitude of his, and kept very quiet for a while. The thought that immediately strike me was: “Had I been too controlling all this while that he reacted in such a way?”

My brother couldn’t stand my quietness and scared that he would create further bad kamma, so he had to break the secret by telling me where he had been earlier: he went to buy a cake. When I was told this, I cried silently and smiled surreptitiously; the heart felt relief.

That incident is a great birthday gift, unexpected but deeply appreciated. Not the cake but the lesson itself. It’s truly a good mirror for me to look into my mind. Just one word and there it goes: I got all upset. Even as I was feeling upset, I could see that it was all because I was unmindful that I was caught up here in this feeling. The feeling didn’t go away immediately of course, but I allowed it to be. It didn’t stay too long though, ‘cos my brother quickly came to my rescue, and to his own rescue as well. We had a good laugh after that and that ended the chapter for today. =)

No comments: