Thursday, January 19, 2006

Planting the Seed

On my way back home today, I reflected about "planting the seed". Often, we hear people talk about planting the seed of Dhamma when they attempt to bring friends to listen to Dhamma talks or Dhamma-related activities. Flashing back my memory to my visit to Thailand last year, I remembered how sister Esther, in her silent effort to support you in your meditation, immediately sat up from her lying position as soon as I lied down. Her sensitivity and kindness left a deep impression in my heart. That, to me, is the real 'planting the seed', done silently, without advertising. Even today, when I think about it, and now when I'm typing it, it still moves me.

For me, it's still a long way to go. My qualities are untested, having always been practicing in peace and never encountering any real difficulties. I'm grateful for those moments when I'm tested, when I met people whom I can't stand, when I'm hurt because of my own ego and unmet (or unrealistic) expectations. In their little ways, they help to shape me and smoothen my edges. Those occasions are my opportunities to put to test whatever qualities I've been trying to practice -- and my responses are the mirror to my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats a Big seed into my mind which will grow into a fruit tree!

I hope to have somebody like sister esther too... Haha...
Buddhism should not be introduced, the Dhamma should be the one I felt. I didn't see how well you prasied Buddhism or the whatever Big or Small tradition, you praised the Dhamma~!! Sadhu~!x3

The habit to side and promote than to put the teachings into practise, shows something about Buddhism to others.

The virtues and Dhamma well embraced through the character or the speech and actions shows another thing about Buddhism to others.

"should thoroughly learn, cultivate,developand frequently practise them, so that the pure teachings may be established and last long."
-maha parinibbana sutta-

:)