Thursday, November 06, 2008

Mindfulness

Home, Medan

Tue, 12th September 2006


Cooling Heart

I’ve just got back from the retreat with Sayalay Dipankara in Ipoh. The fantastic cave temple aside, this retreat differs from other retreats I’ve been to in the coolness I experienced in the heart. There’s a lot of mindfulness and moderation – in food and in sleeping.

Moderation

Normally, my weakness is food. When faced with a good variety of food, I have the tendency to take all of them, and to take more of what I like – the characteristics of greed. When this happened, there was a lot of inner struggle because of the conflict between my behavior and the Food Reflection done just before we were to partake our food. The Food Reflection goes like this:

“Reflecting wisely on this food,

I use it not to distract my mind,

not to gratify desire,

not to make my form impressive

or to make it beautiful.

But simply for the sustenance and continuance of this body

And to fulfill the practice of the holy life.

With this attitude in mind,

I will allay hunger without overeating

So that I may continue to live

blamelessly and at ease”

What I did was the complete opposite – I ate to gratify my desire, and for that very reason, it distracted my mind. Hence I experienced the aftereffect: I was not at ease. Excess of food in the body causes it to be heavy and drowsiness comes easy. What’s worse is the effect of such action to the mind: As I let greed ruled the mind, it often completely took over. The mind laden with greed is gross and not at ease. It behaves like a crazy person. The more one feeds the fire of greed, the more it burns. The more one gratifies one’s desires, the thirstier one is.

Now in this retreat I tried doing something different. I ate in moderation – in the amount and variety. I didn’t want to go after the food. My purpose of coming here was to train the heart and that requires a great amount of mindfulness. I didn’t want to do anything that hinders or goes against the way of the practice. I made the determination (aditthana) not to eat my fill, but to take around 80% of my bodily need. That should be enough to sustain me, as Ajaan Maha Boowa (a Thai Forest Tradition Monk, believed to be Arahant) sometimes even take much less and consumes only one meal a day, whereas I consumed two. As soon as I was about to fill full, I let go of the food, whatever that is, even if that was my favorite food. After I let go, I no longer thought about the food at all. I simply walked away to clean my dishes. Practicing in this way, the heart was very cooling as I didn’t give in to the greed. Hence, for the whole period of 10 days, I was able to feel completely at ease even when eating. It is only now that I act in accordance to the food reflection. And for that, I was rewarded with a sense of ease in the heart. It was not difficult at all. The sense of ease that comes from eating in moderation gives rise to a cooling heart, and that in turn encouraged me to continue on practicing in this way. And how much good that does to the practice! The practice goes along the line of non-greed, non-hatred, non-delusion. When we act in ways that give rise to greed, hatred and delusion, we are actually going against the stream of practice. As a result, the practice cannot go smoothly. This practice of moderation in food also aids in supporting mindfulness.

Mindfulness

In the retreat setting, it is not too difficult to be mindful most of the time as there are many supporting factors: The presence of a good teacher with constant reminder of the practice, the presence of fellow yogis who are striving together, the quiet environment, the good food and enough time to rest. As a rule there is a lag of mindfulness and this happened often. But the period of mindfulness is long enough for us to know how mindfulness feels like, and that, put in juxtaposition with the unmindfulness which is the more common mode of our normal living, allows us insight into the stark difference between mindfulness and unmindfulness. Being unmindful is like being a crazy person. One doesn’t really know what one is doing. One simply rushes about doing this and that, without clear comprehension and presence of mind in what one is really doing. For common run-of-the-mill people, period of unmindfulness is so much longer with possibly no moment of mindfulness that it feels normal to be crazy like that. It feels normal because it is the state of mind most of the time, with nothing to inform the mind what ‘sane’ is like.

No comments: