Monday, June 11, 2007

DLMC - Fri 18 May 2007


Appamado ca Dhammesu: Be uncomplacent with regards to qualities of the mind. I saw this last night, or rather, yesterday. Afternoon sitting was very good and I could absorb successfully. Then there was a little bit thought of lust penetrating and I thought it is ok, just a little bit. Soon that little bit became so enormous that it ruined the evening sitting. The crazy thought - vibhava tanha - consumed my mind and the physical fatique consumed my body. I was barely able to catch the breath. Nevertheless, the mind realized the danger of heedlessness, of being unmindful, that during hte evening chanting, I dared not send my mind off wandering anywhere but focused it at the chants themselves.

A S: It is a good thing that he is here, and I get to observe him and his practice when he is alone and when he is in the company of other monks. He is kind and helpful, considerate to others, doing service for them when the need arises, and very strict with himself. He didn't want to trouble others, so he doesn't take breakfast when he is the only monk around. He chanted the blessing and meal reflection with their meaning in Thai. He worked very hard, and very fast. The entire temple is kept very clean with his presence. He never demanded that we do any work. When he sees that something needs doing, he simply sets himself to doing it. He is very generous too - always giving the yogis, helpers and workers food almost every day.

We observe each other, and appreciate each other. Because of our similar nature and way of practice, we often come across each other in the meditation hall. I often go early to prepare seats for other yogis, he for other monks. Despite not speaking a common language, there is a sort of internal understanding between us. I like to take care of him and serve him secretly. He seemed to notice and appreciate it. How beautiful.

One thing I have to warn myself and be careful about though, is that I have to respect him as an Acariya, a member of the Sangha, and not just my friend/ peer. Anything short of that reflects an impoliteness of mind in my part.

Not taking breakfast: Initially, I took up this practice because AS is not taking breakfast. Later on, I find that this practice has many benefits:

  1. My mind is not so pre occupied with food
  2. I dont' have to spend time sitting at the table and talking frivolous talks. I can work alone, mindfully.
  3. It is the practice of being content with little
  4. I can lose weight

I didn't have to struggle much to take up this practice. Once I have made up my mind, the mind simply stops going after food. Even when I saw food on the table, I was not moved. The reason for that is probably because my practice is progressing well and the heart has contenment.

Medicine for greed: contentment. Contentment features the mind in a completely opposite way from greed. Hence when contentment is present, greed cannot penetrate the mind. Santussako.

No comments: