Monday, June 11, 2007

DLMC - Fri 20 Apr 2007

Renounce greed, aversion, delusion

Be mindful at all times.

Whatever difficult people I encounter, that is opportunity for me to practice. If I'm offended or become defensive, that's a sign that pride is taking hold of my mind. Attack that pride. Work on that pride. Bow down to everyone. Learn from everyone, everything, every event.

Everyone is my teacher. There is bound to be something of value I can pick up, be it from the person's good behavior - of which I can emulate, or bad behavior - which I should refrain from, or difficult behavior - by which I can use to test myself, my own attachment, ego and pride, and how far Dhamma has brought me.

I have an inner teacher that is watching over my shoulder at all times - mindfulness.

My spiritual mother and father: Sayalay Dipankara and Ven. Hui Guang

Radiate metta in all waking moments, to all beings.

Protect the mind. Don't let it wander off after unwholesome thoughts/ objects.

Thought about John's "Pretend to keep the 8 precepts": If I'm in the wrong, I shall rectify myself. Otherwise, I shall put the matter to rest. No fault-finding. The dirt in my mind I shall cleanse. The dirt in others' mind is none of my business.

K's "run away from society": I know how a mind that is running away is like. I know what I am doing and why I am doing it. That much is enough. There is no need to defend myself. No need to explain myself. Put the matter to rest.

E's "Theoretical Dhamma": If it is so, so be it. The teachers I'm learning from teach in accordance to the Dhamma.

Coming here to practice at DLMC: This is the golden opportunity for me to train my mind to be mindful at all times. Also, I have the space and time to explore the breath and meditation. Just dont' lose sight of the goal, and never be lazy. I don't want death to strike at the moment I'm unmindful.

No comments: